Friday, November 5, 2010

Rainy Season

So the rainy season is here.  We usually get a lot of sprinkles or short rains here in Honolulu, but Autumn marks the beginning of the rainy season.  And it has started.  I've moved most of the cactus under the eaves so I can better control the moisture.  Lost a couple Opuntia cuttings to too much water. 

Most of the island is beginning its winter transformation where rains seem to paint shades of green on the otherwise tan hillsides.  Soon it will be "Lord of the Rings" green around here.  (I suspect they altered the color balance in that trilogy, but I've never been to New Zealand where they shot it.)

I'm starting some Psychotria viridis(Chacruna) beans that I hope will sprout, and a few surprises.  Business has been surprisingly successfull, so it looks like you will be seeing more of this blog to come.  Happy growing, and if it gets too wet to garden.. go mushroom hunting.

I found this unidentified beauty on the Maunawili Ditch Trail yesterday:

No comments:

Post a Comment